Thursday, May 26, 2016

God and the Bar Part III

I never planned to take the Bar after graduation. I was afraid to take a risk. I was afraid of the idea that if I could not pass Taxation in Law School, the more probable it would be that I could not pass the Bar. If I could not answer the question raised by a lawyer from the province, the more probable that I could not answer the question raised by a Bar examiner who is an expert of the law. I was already satisfied to finish what I started. 

One time, Fr. Jenstor Sioco, the parish priest of San Raphael the Archangel Parish in Balete, Aklan, asked me why I did not take the Bar. I told him that no one would take care of my parish if ever I would decide to take the Bar. Surprisingly, he offered himself to take care of my parish in my absence. In another time, Alan Pelayo texted me to take the Bar as he was reviewing at UPLC. He even offered his help to enrol me for the Review Class at UPLC. I could not forget what he told me; as if he was saying that the Bar is like a game of chance and we will never know if we can pass it unless we take the Bar Exam. I took all these events as signs from God that I should take the Bar in 2015. 

Immediately, I called for a meeting with all the parish ministers. After a lengthy discussion with them, the whole year activities of the parish were finalized for our parish calendar. The arrangement was to allow me to take my Review Class in Iloilo during weekend while I should be in the parish during weekdays. The Parish Pastoral Council headed by Sir Pedro De Juan Jr. was designated to supervise all the parish activities and schedules. The Parish Administrative Council headed by Shirly Briones was tasked to finish all the projects and beautification of the parish. The Parish Finance Council headed by Maam Tessie Dionisio was assigned to secure our Mass Collections and to pay for some expected expenses of the parish. Nay Laring and Maam Cynthia were assigned to take care of the needs of the priest. When it seemed that the parish was ready for this setup, it was the time that I asked permission from the bishop. Bishop Cor granted my request without hesitation. He then asked me where should I take my review. It was Fr. Echegaray who said that I would take up my review class in UP. I immediately affirmed Fr. Echegaray's answer to the question of Bishop Cor. Then Bishop Cor advised me to focus on my review while he would see to it that the parish would be taken care of. Because of this supervening event, I needed to change plans. I texted Fr. Dodot Torres of the Diocese of Cubao to help me have a parish where I could stay while reviewing in UP. I also asked my brother Ruben to enrol me in UPLC. I asked Kuya Danny of the Resurrection of Our Lord Parish to organize a team of lawyers who can help me understand every Bar Subject. I prepared all the documents I needed as well as all the Textbooks I used in the Law School. Everything was ready that after Holy Week I left for Manila via Ro-Ro. 

When I arrived in Manila, I stayed at Kuya Danny's home first while waiting for the call of the Guest Priest in-charge of the Diocese of Cubao for my application to stay in their diocese. And on the day that the priest in-charge called me to see him, I was so happy that the said priest was so welcoming and kind-hearted to a priest like me who was searching for a place to stay in the city. He actually assigned me in the parish within UP itself! I then went to meet the parish priest of the said parish who also gave me a warm welcome. I asked him if I could already stay on a Monday being the first day of our Review Class in UP, and he answered in the affirmative. Monday came, I brought all my stuff from Paranaque to the parish inside UP Diliman.  There were two men in the parish who brought me to a room downstairs. But I realized that the room was not ready for anybody to use it. So I called up my brother Ruben and I decided to stay with him in his home while I was enrolled in a Review Class at UP. 

No comments: