Tuesday, June 21, 2016

God and the Bar Part VI

God provides. I told kuya Danny about my plight and so he reached out to some Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion for help. Among the many good ministers who helped me significantly is Atty. Arce Lim. I asked him to help me in Commercial Law. Atty. Lim was humble enough to tell me he is not well-versed in the said subject. Yet, I insisted. When he discussed to me things about Commercial Law, he brought with him some visible instruments so that I could have a better idea about them. In our last lesson, he told me to pray because he believed he passed the Bar because God listened to his prayer. Prayer makes miracles. This humble man used to work as a consultant of the owner of the biggest mall of Asia until he retired. Another person who helped me understand Commercial Law is not a lawyer but an experienced international bank consultant, Kuya Tom Clemente. Every time we ate breakfast at Ritchie's Diner together with his wife Tita Dede, he would ask me to explain in my own words what was written in the Topic/Outline of Commercial Law. He would cite situations he encountered in his banking career which called for some legal advice and solutions. As I learned many things from him about banking system, I gained weight due to the heavy breakfast served for me. 

In Taxation, the Youth Ministry of the parish helped me learn about the subject. A certified genius in accounting named Gino, with Jaisa, Camille and a fellow Law student named Victor would discuss with me what I could not understand starting from the basic question like what is income tax. A good parishioner also handed me her daughter's book on Taxation which I found better than my reviewer because it was written in a language which a college student could easily understand. I spent much of my time studying Taxation because I knew my bad history in this subject. Actually, even until the Bar Exam I was still confused of many things about Taxation. This happened probably because I never paid any income tax since I was born. 

In Civil Law, I just consulted Judge Belen what I did not understand in the subject. But most of the time, I texted Dan Tejada to ask about laws in the Civil Code which made me confused. My original classmates in Law School, Sheila Tan and Clara Fe Alejandro would also help me when I got stuck in the process of studying Civil Law. 

Time was running out for me. I did not have enough time to cover all the Bar Subjects. I was in the state of dilemma whether to take the Bar or not. I was actually hesitant. I texted my classmate Alan Pelayo and Atty. Candoleta about my bad feeling. I asked my good friends Fr. Glen Baes of Capiz, Fr. Dick Caabay of Palawan and Fr. Kenn Estocado to pray for me. I asked my parishioners at San Lorenzo Ruiz in Camaligan to pray the rosary for me. Every time parishioners of the Resurrection of Our Lord Parish saw me  I begged them to pray for me. The only thing that kept me alive is prayer. I prayed at the Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration Chapel at the Resurrection of Our Lord Parish every day and night before I read my reviewers. Even if nothing entered my mind and I could not understand what I was reading, I just continued reading my reviewer anyway. 

No comments: