Thursday, December 14, 2017

1st Day of Simbang Gabi 2017

Joe arrives at the boundary of a province on his motorized vehicle with a huge bag over his shoulder. A police officer stops him and asks: “What is in the bag?” “Sir, it is only sand,” he replies. “Sand? We will just see about that –get off the vehicle!” The police takes the bag, rips it open, empties it out and finds nothing in it except sand. Detaining Joe overnight, the sand is analysed only to find that it is simply sand. Joe is released, the sand is put into a new bag and placed on Joe’s shoulders, and he proceeds to his destination riding his motorized vehicle. For almost every day, same thing happens until one day, the police confronts him to tell the truth about smuggling. “I swear that I shall do you no harm, just tell me what you have been smuggling?” the officer asks. Joe smiles and replies: “A motorized vehicle…”

My dear friends in Christ, the officer in the story has messed up because he has missed what he is really trying to search out. It is necessary therefore to recognize what is coming and identify what one expects to find or else he or she will be unable to welcome it. Such happened to John the Baptist. John the Baptist was mistreated if not maltreated because many did not recognize him as Elijah, as a prophet sent to prepare the way of the Lord. In our Gospel, (Matthew 17: 9-13) Jesus said, “I tell you that Elijah has already come, and they did not know him, but did to him whatever they pleased.” From these words of Jesus, we are made aware how our knowledge of the person affects our behavior or attitude towards him or her. If only we recognize that every person we meet is sent by God to prepare the way of the Lord for us, then we can treat him or her the way God wants us to treat him or her. If we know the person we meet could bring us closer to God, we cannot ignore him or her. He or she deserves our warm welcome.

To end, I remember in one famous restaurant in Kalibo, Aklan, I was falling in line waiting for my turn to be called by a McDonald’s crew member. It so happened that one of its managers asked the crew to step aside and made himself the one to receive my order. So I ordered a value meal and then I asked him something about their other food menu. I do not know if he had a bad day but twice did he show me an ill-mannered gesture with his pouting face. I was not yet finished with my order but he interrupted by telling me how much should I pay him for the value meal. So I just paid him and grabbed a table where I ate my meal. To be honest, I was angry while eating my value meal. I felt I do not deserve to be treated in an impolite manner by a manager of one of my most favourite fast food restaurant chains. So I called up my friend from Makati who was also a manager in one of the McDonald’s outlets in Metro Manila and told her about the incident. She told me she could help me report it to the restaurant manager because such a bad attitude of a manager could taint McDonald’s goodwill. But I decided not to report the incident and forget everything about it. I did not want the manager to lose his job just because of me. I also realized that I often did the same thing to others. Some people who tried looking for a priest and found me, they saw me as snobbish and arrogant. I acted as if I had a bad day while showing them my pouting face. I failed to think that my actuations could taint the gift of priesthood in me. I caused others to fail to welcome Jesus because of my bad attitude which affects my priestly ministry. If only I have always the knowledge to acknowledge that people who approach a priest like me are sent by God, I can be patient in dealing with them. So today, I pray for the grace of God to be conscious and aware that every person I meet can bring me closer to Jesus and vice-versa. I also ask all of you to remind each one of us here to be careful on how we treat people starting today. Amen. 

No comments: